I'VE NEVER HAD A BRAZILIAN WAX BEFORE. I'M NERVOUS AND EMBARRASSED. WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
You will be asked to undress from the waist down and lie down on the treatment table. Relaxing music and a beautiful room with cozy candles and comfy treatment table will settle your nerves a bit.
A soothing oil will be applied to your skin to serve as a barrier between your skin and the wax and help make the hair removal easier. The wax will be applied in different sections and then removed. For most Brazilian waxes, our custom Smooth hard wax is used, but our cream soft wax can also be used. The hard wax is applied and is left for a few seconds to harden. It is then removed quickly, removing the hair. This wax shrink wraps around the hair and is gentler on the skin, making it less painful. Soft wax is the other option, which involves applying the wax and then applying a pellon strip on top and then the strip, wax, and hair is removed.
You will be asked to move your legs from either side and to bring your knees to your chest. It's pretty obvious that everyone is curious and nervous about this part! It's really not as horrifying as you might think. You don't have to be a gymnast to get into the positions needed to get your wax!
Once all hair is removed, a soothing gel will be applied to calm your skin. Then, you're out the door and on your way, feeling clean, accomplished, sexy and ready to take on the world!
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I WAX? For best results, you should wax every 3 - 5 weeks. Don't shave between waxes, as this disrupts the process. If you wax regularly, you will notice the hair growth will be less, the hair will be finer and more sparse, and the waxing process itself becomes much more comfortable.
I NORMALLY SHAVE. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TO GET MY FIRST WAX? At least two weeks. This will ensure that the hair is long enough for the wax to remove the hair.
I NORMALLY GET INGROWN HAIRS FROM SHAVING. WILL I GET THEM WITH WAXING? Most clients find that their ingrown problems subside or stop altogether with waxing. Although, there are some clients that have a predisposition for difficult ingrowns. Exfoliating on a regular basis can help prevent ingrown hairs, and there are also products available for purchase that can help. We have an ingrown hair serum that is one of our top selling products and does an amazing job preventing and treating ingrown hairs.
WHAT WILL MY SKIN LOOK LIKE/FEEL LIKE IMMEDIATELY AFTER MY WAX? Your skin may be pink and have small bumps. This is very normal and will subside anywhere from 30 minutes to 72 hours. The bumps are the inflamed follicles and will return to normal. Your skin may feel warm or slightly tender to the touch. This also will subside within 30 minutes to 24 hours. Applying a cooling gel, cool compress, and avoiding heat will help speed up this process.
It is also normal to have some short/stray hairs after your wax. We do our best to remove all unwanted hair, but because hair grows in different stages, some hairs may have been too short for the wax to remove. We suggest leaving those to grow so they can be removed at your next treatment.
MY FRIEND HAD A WAX SOMEWHERE ELSE AND SAID THEY BURNED HER, AND I HAD A WAX SOMEWHERE ELSE AND IT WAS A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. WHAT MAKES YOUR WAXING DIFFERENT?
The waxes used at Smooth are specially formulated to be used at lower temperatures than many other waxes. The temperatures are consistently checked and re-checked through out the day. We have created our own Smooth hard wax that does not adhere to the skin, leaving your skin feeling more comfortable. With over 16 years experience in waxing, our application process has been perfected. The focus and specialty is providing the safest, most comfortable wax you've ever had. Specific "Smooth" techniques are used when applying and pulling the wax to ensure this.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BASIC BIKINI WAX, DEEP LINE WAX, AND BRAZILIAN WAX?
A basic bikini wax removes the pubic hair from outside the underwear line only.
A deep line wax removes hair a little further in, usually about one to two inches in on either side, as well as a little off the top.
A Brazilian wax can be one of two things. Either all hair removed from top, labia, & butt, OR leaving a strip or triangle on top while removing hair from labia & butt. Basically if we are removing hair from the labia area, we consider it a Brazilian. And yes, ALL hair, means every nook and cranny.
HOW SOON AFTER MY WAX CAN I HAVE SEX? Because your skin will be slightly tender after your wax, it's best to wait 24 hours. It's also important to avoid because the spread of bacteria can cause unsightly breakouts.
DO YOU OFFER MEN'S WAXING?
Yes! Smooth offers men's Brazilian, back, chest, arm, leg arm and brow waxing.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT WAXING!
- When you arrive for your appointment you will be asked to fill out a consultation form. This is important because we need to know if there are any contraindications to your waxing service. Certain topical creams, prescriptions and health issues can affect and damage your skin and it's important to make sure waxing is a safe option for you!
- Do not shave for at least two weeks before your wax! Hair must be at least 1/4 inch for waxing.
- For best results do not shave between waxes. Return for waxing every 4 - 5 weeks for best results. If you do this, hair will grow in finer and slower. It will also make for a much more comfortable waxing experience!
- No client on Accutane will be waxed at smooth. If you have taken Accutane in the past you must have stopped using it at least 3 months prior.
- Waxing cannot be performed while you are using Retin A or any prescription retinoid/vitamin A product (i.e; Epiduo, Differin, Adapalene, Tazerac, Avage, Fabior etc). You must stop using these products at least one week before your wax. Many prescription acne products contain this so please check with your doctor first.
- No tanning 24 hours before or after your wax.
- No steam rooms, saunas, hot tubs or hot showers for 24 hours after your wax.
- No waxing over varicose veins.
- Exfoliating with a loofah or body brush 24 hours before and after, and then on a regular basis, can prevent ingrown hairs.
- Avoid the gym, hot yoga, outdoor activities, etc. that will cause excessive perspiration for 24 hours.
- Wait 24 hours before applying self tanners.
- For underarm waxing, wait 24 hours before applying deodorant.
- Avoid getting waxed the week before your period. Your skin will be more sensitive during this time.
- Avoid caffeine before your wax. This will make you more sensitive, also.